Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Mouse!

I told a friend about my very unnerving experience awhile back and she said, "Oh you should write about it!"  I was a bit shy about the entire ordeal, until it almost happened again, and now I won't get another good night's sleep until I warn others.

A couple of weeks ago, I was busy about the house doing, I don't know what, probably writing or something, when I headed to "the powder room."  Okay, to put it bluntly, I had to pee and I can't really say whether it's age or MS, but it seems like I get almost a 5 second warning between, I think I gotta go and . . . yep, sure did!  So, I don't usually take in the scenery, as I become a woman with a serious destination and no time to spare.

I zipped into the master bathroom, sat down, and quickly took care of business.  As I got up, getting my attire back together I noticed in my peripheral vision, something moving in the toilet . . . It was a mouse.  In that split second a multitude of thoughts all collided in my mind.  First the reality of 'I just peed on a mouse' Second, I said a prayer!  That's right, I thanked our Heavenly Father that it was only a mouse and not a snake.  We've all seen that social media image of the snake lurking in the bottom of the bowl . . . Since I wasn't dressed to run, I thought 'FLUSH.'

Next, yet simultaneously, I thought I was so glad I'd already peed, because if I'd noticed him first, I'm not sure how all that would have turned out.  Then, I wondered how he got there, when, a distant memory of being in a church bathroom as a kid of about 5, came vividly to mind.  The same thing had happened, only then I ran to get help!  Aunt Ethel came to my rescue.  I thought of Aunt Ethel, with her older lady math teacher suit and those lace up high heeled shoes just calmly flushing that varmint down the drain.

Needless to say, since that event, I no longer just run in and sat down.  I even make a point of heading to the bathroom before I think I have to go, just in case . . . I want time to survey the situation.  It's also changed my habits at night.  You know how you get used to where everything is and how many steps it is between your bed and the bathroom, without even thinking about it or turning on the light?  Well, no more!  I do not even think about sitting down in a dark bathroom.  The other night proved the new extra precaution, to be a good thing.  Here I am, in the main bathroom, and there's a mouse again in the toilet.  What's with this?

I can't figure out how they get there, if they are swimming up from somewhere or falling in from somewhere else.  Since I've not yet had my camera with me at the time, I don't have a meme or an image for social media.  If only I were a teen aged girl alway prepared to take a selfie in the bathroom mirror, I'd have record of one of those varmints.  We've all heard the old cliche, "Look before you leap."  Well I have a new one, "Look before you sit!"

1 comment: